Film Fund - Development
The Ontario Creates Film Fund, Development Stream is intended to support development activities that lead to the production of domestic feature film in Ontario. The Film Fund provides support to Ontario producers for all stages of development activities.
The Ontario Creates Film Fund supports a range of projects across genres with both industrial and cultural benefits. Ontario Creates measures the results of the Film Fund primarily based on net benefit from the project to the province which includes but is not limited to return on investment and jobs created in the Ontario film industry.
The 2019-20 Film Fund Development Stream includes administrative updates. Please read the guidelines thoroughly.
Film Fund: Development
Program Deadline 2019/20
Applications will be accepted on a continuous basis between October 15, 2019 and January 31, 2020 at 5:00pm ET.
Applications will be assessed on a continuous basis as they are received. All applications must be submitted and received on or before the applicable deadline to be considered.
Decisions will be communicated to applicants between 4 and 8 weeks after their application is submitted.
Through a joint initiative with Telefilm Canada, recipients of support from the Telefilm Canada Feature Film Development Program can request $5,000 (min) to $15,000 (max) from Ontario Creates.
Please be advised that:
- Ontario Creates will only consider single projects (not slate), maximum one project per producer;
- Overall Development support between Telefilm and Ontario Creates cannot exceed $30,000;
- Ontario Creates support cannot exceed 75% of the development budget.
Other Eligible Producers
Projects/Producers who meet the eligibility criteria for the Ontario Creates Film Fund but do not meet Telefilm eligibility (ie. third language films) can apply for Development support from Ontario Creates directly on a case-by-case basis, for requests to a maximum of $15,000. In this instance applicants are required to seek pre-approval by Ontario Creates prior to application, or the application will be deemed ineligible. Ontario Creates support cannot exceed 75% of the development budget.
Ontario Producers not applying to Telefilm
Producers who are choosing not to access Telefilm for Development support and have an eligible project may be eligible for support; please contact Ontario Creates directly to discuss prior to November 30, 2019.
Ontario Creates’ contribution is a loan, which must be repaid at the commencement of principle photography.
The number of applicants who will receive funding and the amount of funding received will be determined by the annual confirmed budget of the Ontario Creates Film Fund and the quantity and quality of the applications received.
NOTE: Full eligibility requirements can be found in the Ontario Creates Film Fund Guidelines. Please read the guidelines completely before beginning your application. Ontario Creates reserves the right to revise Guidelines and Application Forms. Please ensure that you have the current versions before preparing your documentation.
- Applicants must submit their application to Ontario Creates electronically through the Online Application Portal (OAP) at https://apply.OntarioCreates.ca/
- Applicants that do not have a user account on the OAP, should go to https://apply.OntarioCreates.ca/ and click on “Register”. For assistance, please see Ontario Creates’ website for the “OAP Quick Start Guide”;
- Applications must be received electronically via the OAP system no later than 5:00 pm ET on the applicable deadline;
- Applications that are received after the deadline will not be considered;
- Applications will be reviewed by Ontario Creates for eligibility and completeness;
- Incomplete applications will not be considered;
- Applications will be evaluated on a continuous basis. Decisions will be announced 4 to 8 weeks after the application has been submitted;
- Successful applicants must accept and sign an agreement within one month of notification;
- Ontario Creates reserves the right to withdraw its funding commitment should the project no longer meets one or more of the funds eligibility requirements or the project changes significantly from time of initial commitment.
If you have questions or would like more information on the Film Fund 2019/20 program, please sign up for an information session below.
FILM FUND DEVELOPMENT 2019/20 Information sessions
Information Session #1 - Webinar* - REGISTRATION REQUIRED
Date: Tuesday, October 22, 2019
Time: 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. ET
Information Session #2 - REGISTRATION REQUIRED
Date: Thursday, October 24, 2019
Time: 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. ET
Location: Conference Centre, 8th Floor, North Tower, 175 Bloor Street East, Toronto.
*Note: Access to this information session is limited. Priority will be given to persons with accessibility challenges, and registrants outside of the GTA. Online information session participants will receive an invitation via email with a link and password to login and will be able to call in via conference call during the session.
If you are interested in attending an Ontario Creates Information Session but require it be conducted in French please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 21, 2019 and arrangements will be made to schedule an additional session on an alternate date.
If you are interested in attending an Ontario Creates Information Session and have additional accessibility issues that need to be considered, please contact us as above.
Guidelines and Application Forms:
Program Coordinator, Industry Initiatives
Enquiries regarding the Online Application Portal (OAP) should be directed to email@example.com
To receive notification of upcoming deadlines and program updates, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your complete contact information, including your full name, company name and telephone number, as well as the name of the program that you are interested in.