Film Fund - Development
The Ontario Creates Film Fund, Development Stream is intended to support development activities that lead to the production of domestic feature film in Ontario. The Film Fund provides support to Ontario producers for all stages of development activities.
The Ontario Creates Film Fund supports a range of projects across genres with both industrial and cultural benefits. Ontario Creates measures the results of the Film Fund primarily based on net benefit from the project to the province which includes but is not limited to return on investment and jobs created in the Ontario film industry.
The 2020-21 Film Fund Development Stream includes administrative updates. Please read the guidelines thoroughly.
Film Fund: Development
Program Deadline 2020/21
Applications will be accepted on a continuous basis to January 29, 2021 at 5:00 pm ET.
Applications will be assessed on a continuous basis as they are received. All applications must be submitted and received on or before the applicable deadline to be considered.
Decisions will be communicated to applicants between 8 and 12 weeks after their application is submitted.
Projects/Producers who meet the eligibility criteria for the Ontario Creates Film Fund can apply for Development support from Ontario Creates for requests to a maximum of $25,000 for the selected stage of development. Ontario Creates support cannot exceed 75% of the budget for the selected development stage.
The Production Company must be:
- incorporated in Ontario or incorporated federally and registered in Ontario.
- have a permanent establishment in Ontario which serves as head office and base of operations (i.e. applicant is eligible to pay corporate income taxes in Ontario and Ontario address is listed as head office in T2 filing); and,
- be able to demonstrate that they had a permanent establishment in Ontario for at least one year prior to the deadline.
- a Canadian-owned and controlled organization as defined in the Investment Canada Act (Canada).
Applicant companies and any associated production entity must be in good standing with Ontario Creates at time of application submission.
- be Ontario residents and Canadian citizens within the definition of the Citizenship Act or permanent residents within the definition of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada).
- have previously produced at least one of: a dramatic or documentary feature film theatrically released in Canada; a television movie; a dramatic or documentary series; or, two one-hour documentaries that have been broadcast in Canada.
The number of applicants who will receive funding and the amount of funding received will be determined by the annual confirmed budget of the Ontario Creates Film Fund and the quantity and quality of the applications received.
NOTE: Full eligibility requirements can be found in the Ontario Creates Film Fund Guidelines. Please read the guidelines completely before beginning your application. Ontario Creates reserves the right to revise Guidelines and Application Forms. Please ensure that you have the current versions before preparing your documentation.
- Applicants must submit their application to Ontario Creates electronically through the Online Application Portal (OAP) at https://apply.OntarioCreates.ca/
- Applicants that do not have a user account on the OAP, should go to https://apply.OntarioCreates.ca/ and click on “Register”. For assistance, please see Ontario Creates’ website for the “OAP Quick Start Guide”;
- Applications must be received electronically via the OAP system no later than 5:00 pm ET on the applicable deadline;
- Applications that are received after the deadline will not be considered;
- Applications will be reviewed by Ontario Creates for eligibility and completeness;
- Incomplete applications will not be considered;
- Applications will be evaluated on a continuous basis. Decisions will be announced 8 to 12 weeks after the application has been submitted;
- Successful applicants must accept and sign an agreement within one month of notification;
- Ontario Creates reserves the right to withdraw its funding commitment should the project no longer meets one or more of the funds eligibility requirements or the project changes significantly from time of initial commitment.
If you have questions or would like more information on the Film Fund 2020/21 program, please sign up for the information session below.
FILM FUND DEVELOPMENT 2020/21 Information session
Information Session #1- Webinar* - REGISTRATION IS CLOSED
Date: Tuesday, May 19 , 2020
Time: 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. ET
Information Session #2 - Webinar*- REGISTRATION IS CLOSED
Date: Tuesday, May 26 , 2020
Time: 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. ET
*Note: Access to this information session is limited. Online information session participants will receive an invitation via email with a link and password to login and will be able to call in via conference call during the session.
If you are interested in attending an Ontario Creates Information Session but require it be conducted in French please send a request to email@example.com by May 25, 2020 and arrangements will be made to schedule an additional session on an alternate date.
If you are interested in attending an Ontario Creates Information Session and have additional accessibility issues that need to be considered, please contact us as above.
Guidelines and Application Forms:
Program Coordinator, Industry Initiatives
Enquiries regarding the Online Application Portal (OAP) should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
To receive notification of upcoming deadlines and program updates, please email email@example.com with your complete contact information, including your full name, company name and telephone number, as well as the name of the program that you are interested in.