Film Fund- Production
Once Were Brothers: Robbie Robertson and The Band
Propaganda: The Art of Selling Lies
Giant Little Ones
The Kindness of Strangers
The Ontario Creates Film Fund, Production Stream is intended to increase the level of domestic feature film production in Ontario. It provides support to Ontario producers for feature film projects in the final stages of production financing.
The Ontario Creates Film Fund supports a range of projects across genres with both industrial and cultural benefits. Ontario Creates measures the results of the Ontario Creates Film Fund primarily based on net benefit from the proposed project to the province which includes but is not limited to return on investment and jobs created in the Ontario film industry.
The Film Fund Production stream also provides enhanced support for films with diverse elements. See guidelines for more information. The 2019-2020 Film Fund Production program includes administrative updates. Please read the program guidelines thoroughly.
Film Fund: Production
Program Deadlines 2019/20
CYCLE 1: March 4, 2019 5:00 PM ET
CYCLE 2: July 4, 2019 5:00 PM ET
CYCLE 3: October 30, 2019 5:00 PM ET
- Production will include two streams: drama and documentary. Please note there are separate applications for each stream.
- Domestic drama (including animation) must have a budget between $1 million and $8 million (exceptions for larger budgets can be made on a case-by-case basis); International coproduction drama must have a minimum budget of $1 million; Documentary must have a minimum budget of $600,000.
Funding for dramatic features will be capped on a tiered basis according to Ontario spend (labour and non-labour):
$5M and up
$3M to $4.999M
$1M to $2.999M
- Funding for documentary films at all budget levels is capped at $150,000.
- The Film Fund Production stream will continue to be a last-in participant in production financing. In order to be considered by the jury, 70% of production financing must be in place at the time of application. To calculate the 70%, you may exclude your Ontario Creates ask, and any financing under review from other recognized industry funding programs.
- Film Fund Production stream applications must be complete at time of submission in order to move forward to the jury review. Applicants will be offered one opportunity to submit updates via a letter in advance of the jury meeting.
NOTE: Full eligibility requirements, including the diversity enhancement, can be found in Ontario Creates Film Fund Production Guidelines. Please read the guidelines completely before beginning your application. Ontario Creates reserves the right to revise Guidelines and Application Forms. Please ensure that you have the current versions before preparing your documentation.
- Applicants must submit their application to Ontario Creates electronically through the Online Application Portal (OAP): http://www.ontariocreates.ca/collaboration/oap.htm
- Applicants that do not have a user account on OAP, should go to https://apply.ontariocreates.ca
and click on “Register”. For assistance, please see Ontario Creates’ website for the “OAP Quick Start Guide”.
- Applications will be reviewed by Ontario Creates for completeness, eligibility and financial viability.
- Applications that pass this initial review will be assessed by an industry jury and Ontario Creates for final funding recommendations.
- Decisions are expected to be announced in June 2019 for Cycle 1, October 2019 for Cycle 2 and February 2020 for Cycle 3. Successful applicants must enter into a funding commitment agreement with Ontario Creates within one month of notification.
- Ontario Creates reserves the right to withdraw its funding commitment should project financing not be complete within the negotiated time frame, the project no longer meets one or more of the funds eligibility requirements or the project changes significantly from time of initial commitment.
- Applications must be received at Ontario Creates offices electronically via the OAP system no later than 5:00 pm, EDT on the date of the deadlines.
- Applications that are received after the deadline will not be considered.
- It is imperative that applications include all the required materials listed on the application form.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Applications for the diversity enhancement must complete and submit a Diversity Enhancement Addendum, available here. The addendum must be provided as part of the film fund application at the time of submission. Addendums will not be accepted after an application has been submitted.
If you have questions or would like more information on the Film Fund 2019-2020 program, please sign up for an information session below.
FILM FUND PRODUCTION 2019/20 Information sessions
Webinar* - REGISTRATION IS CLOSED
||Thursday, September 26, 2019|
||10:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. ET|
Information Session - REGISTRATION IS CLOSED
|Date:||Wednesday, October 2, 2019|
||10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. ET|
||Conference Centre, 8th Floor, North Tower, 175 Bloor Street East, Toronto.|
*Note: Access to this information session is limited. Priority will be given to persons with accessibility challenges, and registrants outside of the GTA. Online information session participants will receive an invitation via email with a link and password to login and will be able to call in via conference call during the session.
If you are interested in attending an Ontario Creates Information Session but require it be conducted in French please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 16, 2019 and arrangements will be made to schedule an additional session on an alternate date.
If you are interested in attending an Ontario Creates Information Session and have additional accessibility issues that need to be considered, please contact us as above.
Guidelines and Application Forms:
Program Coordinator, Industry Initiatives
Enquiries regarding the Online Application Portal (OAP) should be directed to email@example.com
To receive notification of upcoming deadlines and program updates, please register here with your complete contact information, including your full name, company name and telephone number, as well as the name of the program that you are interested in.